Commercial Director Arts & Antiques
ATG provides the technology that powers more than 1500 auctioneers globally, facilitating over £2bn in transactions from 7.5m individual lots last year. Their unique range of software and portal brands allows auctioneers and bidders to interact online from anywhere in the world.
- ATG runs four online marketplaces – thesaleroom.com, www.i-bidder.com, www.bidspotter.com, www.lot-tissimo.com – and Antiques Trade Gazette, considered to be the print authority of the arts & antiques industry since 1971.
- ATG is a global digital marketplace and SaaS that operates across a range of specialised verticals for the auctioneering industry, including Art and Antiques, Classic Cars, Industrial & Commercial, and Consumer Retail Returns. Their software and systems make safe, secure transactions possible between buyers and sellers throughout EMEA and North America.
- The Global Auction Platform is SaaS for seamless auction management. GAP software is augmented by an innovative set of tools including GAP Office and GAP white label products.
- The marketplace for online auctions is growing at 20% per annum globally. ATG’s cloud-based SaaS is agile, customisable and mobile enabled, putting them at the forefront of digital transformation for the traditional auction industry.
- ATG is backed by ECI Partners, the UK’s leading mid-cap Private Equity fund. This partnership has enabled ATG to make several major acquisition and to continue building innovation within their software and portal portfolio.
Description of the role:
Location: London/Home based
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
The Commercial Director (CD) will be responsible for the UK Arts & Antiques business. Their objective is to grow revenue, win market share and work alongside product and marketing to commercialise the ATG offering.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (also Managing Director of Arts & Antiques), the CD is a senior leadership role.
The CD must plan and execute an integrated commercial strategy designed to increase EBITDA and grow the enterprise value of the company. Their strategy must include:
- New business sales
- Retention, account management, customer success
- Media sales, online & offline advertising
- Bidder led product strategy, user engagement & optimisation
- Content led marketing, lead generation, events and awards
- Commercial Leadership
- Sales Performance: The CD must motivate and enable a sales team selling digital and non-digital assets, including advertising and product. The CD must use KPI’s, skills analysis and sales training to drive performance and revenue growth from the team
- Account Management: The CD must manage an extensive portfolio of auctioneer customers, protecting repeat revenue and driving incremental growth through relationship building and product positioning
- Customer Success: The CD must strive for a market leading customer experience, ensuring auctions are executed flawlessly, high levels of bidder conversion are apparent and the needs of the customer are understood and prioritised
- Find and Grow New Revenue
- The CD must capitalise on the digital transformation of the auction industry by positioning ATG as the leading provider of technology services to auctioneers. Helping traditional auctioneers understand the business benefits of digitisation must be a priority for the CD.
- The CD must provide thought leadership to expand and deepen ATG’s offering for auctioneers with product addons or innovations, marketing services and pan-European bundles, leveraging ATG’s ops in France and Germany, the US and Canada.
- The CD will also have input on pricing strategy, product roadmap, editorial and features, UX, vertical branding and any other commercially relevant area they can add value
- Increase Bidder Conversion
- Leverage ATG’s team of content experts and writers to draw new bidders to the portals, turn them into repeat buyers and evangelists for the online auction experience
- Collaborate with marketing, devise marketing campaigns designed to increase hits, users, bidders and buyers, commercialise traffic where appropriate
- Collaborate with marketing and product to explore and increase bidder conversion rates, test and evolve your bidder conversion funnel strategy
Anything else that drives success and grows the business.
- A senior commercial manager with a background in SaaS or digital, experience in digital ecommerce and/or digital marketplaces highly valued
- ATG has over 400 years of auctioneering experience inhouse, you do not need to be an expert in arts or antiques
- High-energy and entrepreneurial, excited by digital transformation and all its possibilities, our CD will be an effective and diplomatic collaborator used to working on an SLT
- Our ideal CD will be an imaginative problem solver, they will find opportunity in every inch of our products and marketplaces, driving solutions with creativity where none presently exist
- Experience of online marketplaces, payment gateways, buyer funnel conversion, business critical SaaS or bid systems is considered highly desirable
- Spirited, diplomatic, results orientated, entrepreneurial, motivated to join a growing business, inventive, driven
- A track record of working with high growth businesses, private equity or venture capital is appreciated, likewise any interesting start-up experience
- Six figure basic salary
- Bonus based on performance